The past almost year and a half have changed a ton about the world in which we live. The housing market simultaneously increased as lending rates were driving down by stimulus payments. This, coupled by homeowners staying inside their home more than they did in the past, have helped drive a massive home improvement change. We decided to take the time to list five of the surprising home improvement stats for 2021.
- Kitchens Remain King – Let’s face it, the kitchen has always been a top selling point of a home, and with so many more people spending time in their houses this past year plus it makes sense that kitchen remodel trends continue to thrive. In fact, kitchen remodeling has not only thrived but continued to grow! According to Google search trends, kitchen remodeling project searches have increased by 23%! And not only do kitchen remodels appeal to the homeowners, but it helps sell houses at a higher rate. So, consider updating the appliances, adding some backsplash, painting the cabinets, whatever you may want because it’s always a great time to improve your kitchen!
- Around Half of the Homes in the US Were Built Before 1980 – This may seem crazy, but around half of the homes in the US were built before 1980, and some of them desperately need some form of renovation project. Even more of note, a report from National Association of Home Buyers states that around 12% of homes in the US were built between 1970 and 1980, also known as the height of disco! Styles and trends from those decades and prior were good for their time, and retro-modern is a great feel, but consider increasing the value of your home in some way if yours falls in this category.
- Homeowners Can Lower Their Home Insurance – By doing five simple home improvement projects, you could potentially save a bundle on home insurance! Consider renovating (or adding) an alarm system, updating or installing a HVAC system, update the plumbing and electrical work, have your roof re-worked, and add some smoke and gas sensors in the home. Cut back on your insurance, and increase your home equity at the same time!
- 55% of Homeowners Plan to Begin a Project in Winter 2021 – Winter is an excellent time to have home improvement projects done, and it appears that over half of the home owners in the United States agree. Whether you want to do a project that adds to your home for the winter, or you want to prepare for the upcoming spring/summer, the winter months are always a good time to plan and implement a home renovation project.
- The Rise of Smart Homes – It is estimated that smart homes will be predicted to be worth $53.5 billion in 2022. This is something to keep tabs on, especially if you plan to see within the next year. If you can get some home renovation projects in that makes your home more eco-friendly with built in technology you’ll have a much better time getting value out of your home. Consider adding smart lighting, efficient air conditioning and heating systems, and other features that give your home the edge it needs to sell in the market!
If one thing has been proven from the pandemic, it’s that home improvement projects have only increased in need. With people spending more and more time in the home, and the needs of the market changing, it’s time to consider updating and renovating some aspects of your home. Inch By Inch Construction is more than capable of handling and helping you with any of your home improvement projects, and we’d love the opportunity to partner with you to help you increase the value of your home! Let us know how we can help you with your home improvement projects and we know you’ll be glad you did!